This blog contains information for Buyers, Sellers, Investors and Renters. Real estate is a fascinating topic and a very complex one. You can search this blog by topic to find exactly what you are looking for, it will also have all of our new listings. You can learn about Storm Lake's current local real estate market, and the current real estate market in the surrounding areas like Alta, Newell, Aurelia, Schaller, Early, Fonda, Cherokee, Sioux Rapids and others.
For Buyers we will have topics including financing, down payment assistance programs, tips on how to compete with other buyers, how to offer, home inspections and how they work, the process of buying a property, what not to do after you have an accepted offer, the advantage of having a Certified Negotiations Expert on your side and a lot more.
For Sellers we will have topics including how to best price your property, how to prepare your property and see it through the buyer's eyes, home inspections and how they work, how to negotiate, the importance of staging, why pictures are worth a million dollars, the advantage of having a Certified Negotiations Expert on your side and a lot more.
For Investors - a topic I LOVE! Topics will include how to evaluate a property, what tools I personally use and access to them, how to find an investment property, what basic improvements cost if done by you or a contractor, how to find a good tenant, why you need your properties in an entity and not in your personal name, how to negotiate with buyers, sellers and tenants, 1031 Exchanges and a lot more.
For Renters - we list all the new rentals as we are notified of their availability on this blog, we can help you determine if it is time to buy instead of rent, help you determine what if any programs - like down payment assistance - you may qualify for, discuss how to have a conversation with a landlord when the property you are renting is in need of work, and a lot more.
For Everyone - Thank you for making Weaver Realtors the #1 Most Recommended Real Estate Company of Google for the Storm Lake and Cherokee Area!
Georgia Weaver - Broker Owner
Justin Davis REALTOR
Ronnie Weaver REALTOR Owner
We are holding a Free Home Buyers Seminar on March 14th from 6 pm to 8 pm. Come and learn what you need to buy a home, meet some of the local professionals, banker, realtors, attorney, home inspector and enjoy a sandwich as we take you through the home buying process. Seating is limited, all attendees must pre-register no walk ins. We are keeping this small so we can answer everyone's questions completely. If this date doesn't work for you please call our office at 712-213-4663 to set up an appointment with one of our Realtors.
607 Lake Ave
on-line at www.WeaverRealtors.com
Spring is such a wonderful time, birds singing, snow melting, the promise of new life! I just love this time of year.
When you own a home, there are always things to do, this is especially true for the Spring.
1) ________ Review the list of things you wrote up over the winter that you wanted to get
2) ________ Check the house for any damage that may have happened over the winter.
driveway, down spouts, roof, patio, and garage.
3) _________ Clean all debris from the roof, gutters, yard that accumulated over the winter.
4) _________ Reseal anything that needs it like exterior calk, put on screens if you took
them off in the Fall.
5) _________ Check paint on the house, garage and trim, repair any that is peeling
6) ________ Check screen doors and windows are clean and in good repair.
7) ________ Clean any garden or flower bed debris
8) ________ Clean and check all irrigation systems. Adjust heads or replace if needed.
9) ________ Clean all gutters and down spouts
10) _______ Wash your windows
11) _______ Check siding for any damage and repair.
12) _______ Schedule an HVAC company to service clean and check your air conditioner.
13) _______ Check your deck and porch for any damage, peeling paint, loose railing etc.
14) _______ Service your yard and lawn equipment and tools, mower, trimmer, shovel,
garden tools, pruners.
Even though there isn't a lot that can be done outside this time of year with the snow on the ground, there are still maintenance tasks and things to check to save money on heat.
1) ________ Gutters clean, this will help prevent an ice dam that can put water in
your home. If this is a routine problem you may want to invest in some
heated cables to keep ice melted.
Excellent information here: https://goo.gl/MhvohE article from This Old House,
2) ________ Weather stripping and calk on doors and windows reviewed and replaced if needed
3) ________ Winter equipment and tools ready for use. Shovels, snow blower, windshield scrapers, ice melt
4) ________ Check your emergency supplies, and replace if needed. Canned food, water, batteries, blankets, first
aid kit, crank radio, charge bank for smart phone.
5) ________ Check the rug in your entry, switch to a larger rug if needed for muddy or wet boots. Place a basket in
entry for gloves, hats etc.
6) ________ Check your batteries in the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors once a month in the winter. You
spend more time inside with less ventilation.
7) ________ Clean and check your humidifier, winter air is dry. Humidity level in your home should not be lower
than 40%. Lower than 40% can cause breathing issues, sinus infections and a lot of static.
8) ________ Can't wait for the cold nights for a fire? Please do wait until you have the chimney cleaned and
9) ________ Disconnect all water hoses, they can freeze and break inside the wall and leak into the house.
10) ________ Insulate any pipes that are close to the foundation or outside wall, especially in a big old house.
11) ________ If your house is drafty, check the outlets and light switches. If a draft is felt there are insulation foam
pieces made to place behind these to stop the air flow..
12) ________ Contact a Heating and Air company and schedule them in to service your furnace or boiler.
13) ________ Check your attic and install more insulation if needed.
14) ________ If you have a flat roof, clean all leaves, branches off.
15) ________ Remove and store all window air conditioner units.
We hope this list is helpful. Winter in Iowa can be brutal. Stay safe and warm this year.
607 Lake Ave
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Now This IS Serious Business! If you want these results give me, Georgia Weaver, Broker Owner of Weaver Realtors, so you too can dance! Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/weaverrealtors/
Good information on home inspections, always look for a certified inspector, there are a number of certifications and in Iowa BUT no license or certification is required to be a home inspector.
Certification is usually ASHI Certified Inspectors (ACI) ASHI Certified Inspectors (ACI) -- Have reached the highest level of ASHI Membership. Passed the National Home Inspector Examination. Completed the ASHI Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics Education Module. There are other Certification programs - DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
ALWAYS ask if they carry E and O Insurance (Errors and Omissions) yes, they like everyone else, sometimes make mistakes.
You can also use a General Contractor to do a property inspection, again, do your homework. I am an Iowa Certified General Contractor, and as a General Contractor myself, I don't do my own electrical or heating and cooling. I rely on licensed electricians and plumbers to handle that work on my projects. So talk to your inspector/general contractor, know what they check, what they cost, what kind of report you will receive and how (prefer digital over paper). One of the MOST important things you can do is to be present for the inspection, or at least the last hour of the inspection. No it isn't your agent's responsibility, it is your purchase, you need to understand what the inspector is putting on the report and decide if those items are of big concern to you.
Georgia Weaver, IA Licensed Realtor, Weaver Realtors, 607 Lake Ave Storm Lake, IA 50588 712-291-0118
Many of our residents purchase in Arizona or Florida, we work with some amazing agents in those areas that we can get you to for great service.
Storm Lake area homes are selling like snow cones in August! I personally love the fast pace. But, this pace can be hard on both buyers and sellers. Things happen fast (many accepted offers within 3 days of coming on the mls) and sometimes it is a lot to take in. Sellers need to purchase another property, packing, moving arrangements, buyers need to do inspections, get the final docs to their lender, and a lot of things behind the scenes the clients never see.
Our goal at Weaver Realtors is to make this a smooth transaction, we cover all the details and tasks, you don't have to. We keep you up to date at least weekly with an activity report if you are a seller and usually 2 times a week if you are a buyer. This is to keep you current, to help you be ready with things that are on the horizon and to help wherever we are needed. If the buyers home inspection comes back with concerns we can help out with names of trustworthy contractors. We do recommend the seller have the property inspected prior to listing - will save you in the long run. You will know if there are problems, you can also use the report to help the buyer have confidence in your property.
Need a little help, call me Georgia Weaver 712-291-0118 - IA Licensed Realtor, Weaver Realtors, 607 Lake Ave, Storm Lake IA 50588
The Federal Housing Administration, operating under HUD, offers affordable mortgages for tens of thousands of buyers who may not qualify for other types of programs. They are popular with both first-time and repeat buyers.
The 3.5% down payment is an attractive feature but there are other advantages:
Finding the best mortgage for an individual is not always an easy process. Buyers need good information from trusted professionals. Call me Georgia Weaver (712) 291-0118 for help finding a great mortgage professional or to look at any properties for sale in the Storm Lake area.
Georgia Weaver, PSA, CRS, GRI, CNE
Call me Georgia Weaver 712-291-0118 to see this property. IA Licensed Realtor with Weaver Realtors, 607 Lake Ave Storm Lake, IA 50588
online at www.WeaverRealtors.com