Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Even though there isn't a lot that can be done outside this time of year with the snow on the ground, there are still maintenance tasks and things to check to save money on heat.
1) ________ Gutters clean, this will help prevent an ice dam that can put water in
your home. If this is a routine problem you may want to invest in some
heated cables to keep ice melted.
Excellent information here: https://goo.gl/MhvohE article from This Old House,
2) ________ Weather stripping and calk on doors and windows reviewed and replaced if needed
3) ________ Winter equipment and tools ready for use. Shovels, snow blower, windshield scrapers, ice melt
4) ________ Check your emergency supplies, and replace if needed. Canned food, water, batteries, blankets, first
aid kit, crank radio, charge bank for smart phone.
5) ________ Check the rug in your entry, switch to a larger rug if needed for muddy or wet boots. Place a basket in
entry for gloves, hats etc.
6) ________ Check your batteries in the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors once a month in the winter. You
spend more time inside with less ventilation.
7) ________ Clean and check your humidifier, winter air is dry. Humidity level in your home should not be lower
than 40%. Lower than 40% can cause breathing issues, sinus infections and a lot of static.
8) ________ Can't wait for the cold nights for a fire? Please do wait until you have the chimney cleaned and
9) ________ Disconnect all water hoses, they can freeze and break inside the wall and leak into the house.
10) ________ Insulate any pipes that are close to the foundation or outside wall, especially in a big old house.
11) ________ If your house is drafty, check the outlets and light switches. If a draft is felt there are insulation foam
pieces made to place behind these to stop the air flow..
12) ________ Contact a Heating and Air company and schedule them in to service your furnace or boiler.
13) ________ Check your attic and install more insulation if needed.
14) ________ If you have a flat roof, clean all leaves, branches off.
15) ________ Remove and store all window air conditioner units.
We hope this list is helpful. Winter in Iowa can be brutal. Stay safe and warm this year.
607 Lake Ave
Storm Lake, IA 50588